Beacon Ministries Quick Facts
Phone: 618-365-2502; for assistance, call 618-900-6529
Address: P.O. Box 23468, Belleville, IL 62223
Email: [email protected]
Breaking the Chains of Poverty
- Unconditional acceptance of all persons;
- All individuals have the capacity to change and grow;
- Respect for all religious traditions;
- Honor and Foster volunteer action.
- To transform lives and communities in response to Jesus’ call to serve “those among us who have the least”
- To connect people in need to services and resources;
- To help people break the chains of poverty;
- To lead people to communities of faith;
- To partner with churches and others in addressing the deeper issues that contribute to poverty and hopelessness.
Resource Call Center
The heart of Beacon’s ministry. Assists individuals and families in times of financial crisis. Helps callers make a plan for handling immediate crisis; provides limited financial assistance; offers Beacon’s Life Coaching service to help improve clients’ financial management and income. Makes connections to other needed community services including job placement. Call for assistance Monday through Thursday, 10:00 – 1:00 p.m. The Resource Call Center is staffed by volunteers. Beacon is always looking for those who would like to help out by staffing our Resource Call Center so that we could possibly extend our hours of service.
Beacon seeks donations of furniture in good condition to distribute to families in need. Furniture is delivered or picked up first and third Saturdays of each month. Requests for furniture are received through the Resource Call Center. Most requested are bedroom and kitchen furniture. Donations can be delivered to Beacon’s furniture warehouse at other times by appointment.
Life Coaching: Breaking the Chains of Poverty
Beacon is a blend of assistance and service. With the Client Assistance Fund, we have been able to give direct financial aid. But it is not a handout. It is part of a hand up, creating leverage to help our clients help themselves.
Beacon has grown from an agency that refers people in crisis to sources of assistance, to a place where people in crisis find support, guidance, and the offer to travel with them from financial dependency to independence. We have introduced Life Coaching into our continuum of service. Through Life Coaching Beacon offers help in moving beyond the cycle of poverty and repetitive crisis to full participation in the economy. We call this Breaking the Chains of Poverty.
2019 Service Statistics
RESOURCE CALL CENTER
Families Served 1,592
Deliveries (178) Value $19,225
Donations (128) Value $13,525
Life Coaching Ministry
Total Coaching Sessions 95
576 Total Volunteer Hours
(Value @10/Hr)= $57,600
1. Homeless Backbone Support Group
2. Community Development Group
3. Point in Time Count
4. Homeless Action Committee
5. Furniture to Those in Need